Continuing our jaunt through the darkness under the bed we arrive at the last of the minions from Stuffed Fables, the mechanical Mongrels.
Today we're going to be looking at an exercise in drybrushing. I started out by basecoating the dogs with P3 Ironhull Grey.
Next I mixed some Ironhull Grey with some P3 Underbelly Blue and then hit the model all over with my drybrush. Now the I like to make sure my drybrush is nice and supple by giving it a thorough wash before using it. I also keep the amount of paint on it to an absolute minimum by wiping the excess off on my palm... I know I'm a messy painter!
Next I hit the Mongrel with some Underbelly Blue, followed by P3 Frostbite...
Then finally I hit it with some P3 Jack Bone just around the jaws and the rib cage.
So now I have the metal look I want it's time to add the rust. I'm using Forge World's old Weathering Pigments. First I used a coat of Aged Rust followed by one of Light Rust.
With the rust I wanted to hit all the top edges but I wasn't being overly neat. Next I added in the leather strap using P3 Bloodtracker Brown.
With that done it was time to start edging. For this I'm using three different colours. Jack Bone was used around the ribs and the lower jaw. Frostbite was used around the legs and claws. Then a mix of Coat d'Arms Italian Red and P3 Cygnus Yellow was used around the rusted areas.
I added some Strong Tone to the leather strap and waited for it to dry... mostly! I'm really impatient...
The eyes were added in using P3 Sanguine Base and a dot of P3 Khador Red on top using my trusty pointed clay shaper.
With the strap dry I did another layer of Bloodtracker Brown and then added the studs in using P3 Rucksack Tan and then a dash of P3 Menoth White Highlight using my clay shaper again.
The final step was to mix the tiniest amount of gold with some GW Lamenters Yellow and then simply washing over the top of the studs to give that golden effect.
I then hit the models with a blast of Testor's Dullcoat to seal the powders and stop people from getting their fingers all rusty during play and that was it...
Really simple paintjob but a great end result in my opinion. I did add a little weathering around the eyes and lower jaws using GW Typhus Corrosion to give the impression of an oil like drool. Super happy with them and I look forward to getting them to the table again soon.
Next time we'll be looking at the Bosses! Until then, keep on painting!